– to ride a bicycle
ex. He cycled 20 hours a week when he was preparing for the race.
– a large number of people in the same place
ex. I got lost in the crowd at the musical festival.
– if people gather, or if someone gathers them, they come together in one place to see or do something
ex. A large crowd gathered to hear the speech.
– the best achievement so far in a particular activity, especially sport
ex. He is confident that he will break another world record.
– to give a loud shout of approval or encouragement
ex. The fans cheered when their team scored.
– calmly and in a controlled way
ex. We've been making progress steadily.
– a type of path or road, often in the shape of a ring, that has been specially designed and built for sports events, especially racing
ex. This track is a popular place to bike.
– to continue to exist when other parts or other things no longer exist
ex. He remained at the bar until it closed.
French Man Sets Cycling Record at Age 105
Robert Marchand was born in 1911 in France. He enjoys riding a bicycle, and started cycling seriously when he was in his 60s.
He is now 105 years old.
In January this year, a crowd gathered about 30 kilometers outside of Paris. They were there to see how far he could travel in one hour.
The record for one hour is held by Britain’s Bradley Wiggins, who covered 54.5 kilometers in 2015.
In 2012, Marchand set a record for riders over 100 years old when he traveled almost 27 kilometers in an hour. So the question many people asked was: “Could he break his own record?”
Marchand set off on his record attempt as sports lovers cheered and photographers watched. He moved slowly, but steadily, around the track.
When the hour ended, he completed 92 laps around the track.That is just over 22.5 kilometers.
Marchand said he could have done better. He did not see his trainers telling him he only had 10 minutes remaining, otherwise he would have gone faster, he says.
But the news was still good, as he did set a new record for riders 105-years-old or older.
1. When did Robert Marchand start cycling seriously? 羅伯特·馬尚從何時開始認真地騎腳踏車呢？
2. When did Marchand set his first record? 馬尚於何時創下第一個紀錄呢?
3. How many laps did Marchand complete when he set his second record? 馬尚創下第二個紀錄時總共騎了幾圈呢？
1. Can you ride a bicycle? 你會騎腳踏車嗎？
Follow-up question 1: If yes, did you learn all by yourself or did someone help you? 接續問題1: 你會騎腳踏車是因為有人教你還是你自己學會的呢？
Follow-up question 2: If no, would you like to learn? 接續問題2: 你不會騎腳踏車的話，你想學嗎？
2. Is cycling popular in your country? 在你的國家有很多人騎腳踏車嗎？
Follow-up question 1: Do people where you live often use bicycles to go places? 接續問題1：在你的國家，大家會把腳踏車當作代步工具嗎？
Follow-up question 2: Are people from your country interested in cycling as a sport? 接續問題2：在你的國家，人們會把騎腳踏車當作運動的一種嗎？
3. Would you like to be just like Robert Marchand when you get older? 你希望自己變老時能和羅伯特·馬尚一樣嗎？
Follow-up question 1: Do you personally know anyone as old as Marchand? If so, what are they like? 接續問題1: 你認識的人之中，有人和馬尚年齡相仿的嗎？如果有的話，能否形容一下他們的樣子呢?
Follow-up question 2: Are the older people in your family physically active? Do they do sports? 接續問題2: 在你家族中，年長者的活動力旺盛嗎？他們會從事什麼運動呢？
Advanced exercises 進階練習
Please describe the main topic of the article with 1 or 2 sentences.
- Do you think that people who do sports are usually healthier? Why or why not? 你覺得有運動的人一般來說是否比較健康呢？為什麼?
- Are there any sports which are bad for your health? If so, which ones? 有沒有哪些運動對健康有害呢？如果有的話，請舉例。
- What is your favorite sport and why? 你最喜歡哪一項運動呢？為什麼？
- Generally speaking, would you say that you are good at sports? 基本上，你認為自己運動神經發達嗎？
- Would you agree that cycling is a cheap way to take care of your health? Why or why not? 你同意騎自行車是既省錢又能照顧健康的運動嗎？為什麼呢？
This lesson is based on a news article originally published by [VOA news](http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/french-cyclist-sets-record-at-age-105/3664645.html)
Translated By April Wu